How about talking in English here?

Vapaamuotoinen keskustelu, joka ei liity Beemoovin peleihin.

Re: How about talking in English here?

ViestiKirjoittaja Freyel » 23.05.2017 20:35

I'm actually kind of excited about moving to other servers. Before Finnish Eldarya was announced I was already prepared for going to the English server (since I thought Finnish version would come after that, not at the same time like it did) so this doesn't feel so bad. In Flirttistoori's forums I wasn't even that active in the past year so I don't really mind moving to MCL. I am sad about Miss Muotitähti though, because I got to be a moderator in there and it was fun. At least I can still help people here.
"They say "be yourself." But I don't really like who "myself" is."
Freyel
Ylläpitäjä
Ylläpitäjä

ViestiKirjoittaja Shalott » 23.05.2017 20:37

^
^Oh my goodness, those cursed listening comprehension tests. :D Sometimes they feel less like listening comprehension tests, and more like "do you think the way the person who wrote this thinks"-tests. Or at least that's how I often felt when we had those.
Kuva
Flirttistoori: Shalott ~-~ MyCandyLove: Deathaura ~-~ SweetCrush: Lethallan
EldaryaFIN: Lethallan ~-~ EldaryaUS: Shalott ~-~ EldaryaGER: Lethallan
Shalott
Noviisi
Noviisi

ViestiKirjoittaja Freyel » 23.05.2017 20:49

Listening comprehension tests were the worst :D Listening isn't really my strongest skill anyways when it comes to languages. I feel irritated whenever I'm watching a movie or a series without any subtitles on. Not that I wouldn't understand what they are saying, sometimes I just have trouble hearing. And some words I only know by their appearance, not by how they are pronounced.
I was watching a series on HBO Nordic and it bothered me that they didn't have English as an option for subtitles. They also leave a lot out and only translate the core message of the dialogue, which I find annoying, but so far I haven't had any trouble understanding the parts that they left out.
Freyel
Ylläpitäjä
Ylläpitäjä

ViestiKirjoittaja Pihka » 23.05.2017 20:59

High school listening comprehensions were sometimes really terrible. The answers are sometimes so close to each other that it's just a guessing game.

Freyel just mentioned my favourite topic, translation ^^ I apologize in advance, I study translation so I just have this terrible urge to talk about it every time someone mentions it.
So, subtitles. The meaning of subtitles is to transfer the core message of the dialogue. It's basically impossible to translate everything the people say. There's a character limit in which the subtitles have to fit or else they won't look good on the screen. The maximum is two lines and going over it and dividing the dialogue to three lines disturbs the reading.
Lysander
~Se on niin söpö etten mä kestä~
Pihka
Nuori Alokas
Nuori Alokas

ViestiKirjoittaja Whimsie » 23.05.2017 21:03

Senior high listening comprehensions are the worst, like I'm usually pretty good listener and watch many tv series without any subtitles/with Swedish subtitles, but the tests are usually like?? So different from the normal conversation?? I'm not meaning the pronounciation or accents but just like the topics of them. And even more tricky part is that many time answer options are really not-so-limited? Usually I can understand everything they say but get wrong answers because more than one option seems right to me.
Whimsie
Kaartikokelas
Kaartikokelas

ViestiKirjoittaja Freyel » 23.05.2017 21:12

Pihka, yeah I totally get that but somehow the subtitles of HBO seem a lot...lazier than usual subtitles? Like I don't know, they don't seem normal to me :D Then again, I haven't watched tv in a long time and usually just watch stuff from illegal streaming sites where there are no subtitles whatsoever.
Freyel
Ylläpitäjä
Ylläpitäjä

ViestiKirjoittaja Revel » 23.05.2017 21:15

Since I rarely use the language, I might occasionally come here to blabber. I used to talk English with a friend despite we're both Finnish and noticed quickly that it became easy and I didn't need to think much about my grammar while writing. But now that I haven't done it in a while, it seems almost a hell of a struggle to find words at all if I have to write in English again. :D Also, I usually have no idea where to put the commas (neither in Finnish xD) but I guess it's not the world's end.
Cain Suomen Eldaryasta.
Kuva
Revel
Trendi-teini
Trendi-teini

ViestiKirjoittaja Shalott » 23.05.2017 21:16

Sometimes reading comprehension tests are like that, too. In secondary school, I had one where we had to choose if, according to the text, a statement is true or false. One of the statements was "The dog is dying". The text talked about a farmer, who said that his dog was "getting old". I marked the statement as "false", as I feel one is not necessarily dying if they're getting old. The teacher marked my answer as "wrong".

I'll be forever bitter about that. :D

Anyway, thankfully, the only time I've watched something I truly cared about without Finnish subtitles was when I bought some Doctor Who dvd-boxes from London, and those had English subtitles for those who have hearing issues. I got my subtitles, even though they came with the occasional (A knock on the door)-additions.
Kuva
Shalott
Noviisi
Noviisi

ViestiKirjoittaja Pihka » 23.05.2017 21:24

Freyel, yeah I understand. I haven't watch HBO so I don't really know what kind of subs they have. It also depends a lot on the translators they're using, how much they're paid and how tight the deadlines are. If the translators are just some amateurs who don't have proper education the quality may be lower. Also, if the pay isn't good it doesn't motivate as much as getting paid properly. And too tight deadlines prevent producing good enough quality.
Also same language subtitles may be different compared to translated subtitles, they may have different guidelines for those.

Reading comprehensions can be really tricky too. Those matriculation exam reading comprehensions were quite difficult at times.
But I must say Shalott that in my opinion you were correct. Since -ing usually indicates activity that's happening right now. Like, I'm walking. If someone's dying in my mind they're basically in death bed already. So someone getting old is not dying, at least no in my opinion :D You should've talked to your teacher..
Lysander
Pihka
Nuori Alokas
Nuori Alokas

ViestiKirjoittaja Shalott » 23.05.2017 21:29

Well, I agree, Pihka -- I also still think I was correct! And I actually did talk to my teacher, giving more or less the same explanation you did, but she kind of laughed it off... Possibly because I still got 9½ from that test, and my English number was already 10, so it didn't affect anything. :'D
Kuva
Shalott
Noviisi
Noviisi

ViestiKirjoittaja Cairnye » 25.05.2017 17:26

Sorry, I don’t speak English that well
Cairnye
Uusi Flirttailija
Uusi Flirttailija

ViestiKirjoittaja Pihka » 25.05.2017 17:37

It's okay Cairnye ^^ This topic is meant for just that, practicing English. It doesn't matter if you don't speak perfectly. The only way you learn is by practice so don't be afraid to talk in English if you're interested in it.
Lysander
Pihka
Nuori Alokas
Nuori Alokas

ViestiKirjoittaja Shalott » 25.05.2017 20:52

Looking at SweetCrush, I kind of get the feeling it's pretty much the same as this topic, haha. :D There's only a few native speakers on the forums, and then a huge bunch of Finnish people...
Kuva
Shalott
Noviisi
Noviisi

ViestiKirjoittaja Sierra » 10.06.2017 23:44

Hello, thought of saying something here too, because it was too quiet. Well, not anymore that I broke the silence.
we’ve found our destiny
Sierra
Kaartin sotilas
Kaartin sotilas

ViestiKirjoittaja Larjus » 12.06.2017 14:12

Not a bad idea to break the silence ^^ Though I have to admit I'm not the best person to keep the conversation going on :D Especially in English.
Our hero, our hero, claims a warrior's heart.
I tell you, I tell you, the Dragonborn comes.
With a Voice wielding power of the ancient Nord art.
Believe, believe, the Dragonborn comes.
It's an end to the evil, of all Skyrim's foes.
Beware, beware, the Dragonborn comes.
For the darkness has passed, and the legend yet grows.
You'll know, You'll know the Dragonborn's come.
Larjus
Ylläpitäjä
Ylläpitäjä

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu Kahvila